Are you interested in learning more about how to explore and use data to achieve your goals? Are you a journalist interested in data exploration and visualization but don’t know where to start to pick up the skills you need? Do you want to move beyond mere text and begin to show information and tell stories with graphics?
Beginning 16 February, JumpStart Georgia will host a free training that gently introduces you to the concepts and basic skills you need to explore and visualize data. We’ll discuss the concepts of data acquisition, exploration, and finally visualization using R, an open source statistical and data analysis language and framework that produces professional quality charts and graphs.
- Basic familiarity with spreadsheet software such as Excel, LibreOffice Calc, or Google Spreadsheets;
- Curiosity and willingness to ask questions, learn new skills, and challenge yourself;
- A laptop*;
There is a limited number seats available (15), so let us know as soon as possible about your desire to participate by contacting Nino Iakobishvili at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send your resume and a letter explaining why you would like to participate in the training no later than 6 February to be considered.
- Session 1: Saturday, 16 February 2013 11am-1pm @ JumpStart Georgia’s Office
- Session 2: Saturday, 23 February 2013 11am-1pm @ JumpStart Georgia’s Office
- Session 3: Saturday, 2 March 2013 11am-1pm @ JumpStart Georgia’s Office
- Session 4: Saturday, 9 March 2013 11am-1pm @ JumpStart Georgia’s Office
The sessions will center around an online introduction to R (TryR by CodeSchool), but we will put the material in context of larger data-relevant questions. Each session we’ll work through the material methodically and discuss what is going on, why we are doing what we are doing, and answer each participant’s questions as they arise. There will also be an online support forum to ask questions anytime between sessions that all participants will be able to use and join in to help each other.
Following completion, each participant will receive a certificate for completing the training and should fill out an evaluation form that will, among other things, determine if another, more advanced training, is warranted.
- An Introductory Training in Data Exploration using R (Eng)
- An Introductory Training in Data Exploration using R (Geo)
*If you do not have access to a laptop that you can install R on and use for this project, JumpStart can lend you a netbook for the duration of the project, though they are small. However, we only have a limited number (7).